Skip to main content

China’s Population Drops For The First Time Since 1961

BBC: China's population falls for first time since 1961 

China's population has fallen for the first time in 60 years, with the national birth rate hitting a record low - 6.77 births per 1,000 people. 

The population in 2022 - 1.4118 billion - fell by 850,000 from 2021. 

China's birth rate has been declining for years, prompting a slew of policies to try to slow the trend. 

But seven years after scrapping the one-child policy, it has entered what one official described as an "era of negative population growth". 

The birth rate in 2022 was also down from 7.52 in 2021, according to China's National Bureau of Statistics, which released the figures on Tuesday. 

In comparison, in 2021, the United States recorded 11.06 births per 1,000 people, and the United Kingdom, 10.08 births. The birth rate for the same year in India, which is poised to overtake China as the world's most populous country, was 16.42. 

Deaths also outnumbered births for the first time last year in China. The country logged its highest death rate since 1976 - 7.37 deaths per 1,000 people, up from 7.18 the previous year.  

Read more ....  

WNU Editor: I have told this story many times before. But when I working in China in the 1980s a Chinese regional leader told me that for China to develop and have a society that was rich and sustainable for its population, it needed to have a population of about 600 million. He also told me that it would take over a century to accomplish it. 

China’s Population Drops For The First Time Since 1961  

China’s population drops for the first time in decades -- CNBC 

China faces demographic crisis as population shrinks for first time in 60 years -- France 24  

China announces first population decline since 1961 -- DW  

China’s first population fall since 1961 creates ‘bleaker’ outlook for country -- The Guardian  

China records first population decline in 60 years -- CNN  

China reports major population decline amid falling birth rates and aging society -- ABC News Australia



from War News Updates https://ift.tt/AZdO4vi
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

US-built first Saudi MMSC frigate HMS Saud launched at Fincantieri’s shipyard

According to information published by the Saudi Ministry of Defense on December 18, 2025, the first Multi-Mission Surface Combatant frigate constructed in the United States for the Royal Saudi Navy has been officially launched at Fincantieri Marinette Marine’s shipyard in Marinette, Wisconsin. The ship, designated HMS Saud with pennant number 820 and also known as Jalalat Al-Malik Saud in honor of King Saud, is the lead vessel in a four-ship program ordered under Project Tuwaiq through the U.S. Foreign Military Sales framework, a deal that defense officials have repeatedly described as a cornerstone of bilateral naval cooperation. Read more.   The HMS Saud (820) has an overall length of approximately 118 meters, in some sources detailed as 118.6 meters, with a beam of 17.6 meters, a draft of about 4.3 meters, and a full-load displacement estimated at roughly 3,600 tonnes. (Picture source: Saudi MoD) Read full Defense news.  from World Defence News https://ift....

U.S. Army Conducts Gunnery Exercise With Latest Air Defense System Sgt Stout.

U.S. Army officials confirmed that a live gunnery exercise at Fort Hood, Texas, is underway, featuring the latest-generation Sgt Stout short-range air defense system. The drills mark a significant step toward full operational integration as units across the force adapt to evolving threats from drones, rotary-wing aircraft, and low-flying munitions. It matters because Sgt. Stout enhances the Army’s ability to defend forward-deployed troops and critical infrastructure from modern aerial threats. Read full Defense News at this link ... A U.S. Army SGT Stout SHORAD air defense vehicle maneuvers into firing position during live-fire training with the 6th Battalion, 56th Air Defense Artillery Regiment at Fort Hood, Texas, on October 3, 2025. (Picture source: U.S. Department of War) Read More from World Defence News https://ift.tt/NYmsS1n via IFTTT

Bath Iron Works starts building new Arleigh Burke-class Flight III destroyer USS J. William Middendorf

General Dynamics Bath Iron Works has started construction of the future USS J. William Middendorf (DDG 138), a Flight III Arleigh Burke-class destroyer that will strengthen the U.S. Navy’s missile-defense and escort capacity during sustained operations in the Red Sea, Eastern Mediterranean, and Indo-Pacific. The ceremonial first steel cut took place in Maine on May 19, 2026, as the Navy continues relying on Flight III destroyers equipped with the SPY-6 radar and Aegis Baseline 10 combat system to replace the air defense and command role of retiring Ticonderoga-class cruisers ahead of the future DDG(X) program.  Read full defense news at this link... USS J. William Middendorf belongs to the Flight III configuration that began with USS Jack H. Lucas (DDG 125), the first Flight III destroyer commissioned in October 2023. (Picture source: US Navy) Read more... from World Defence News https://ift.tt/tSRkVWI via IFTTT