Skip to main content

HMS Prince of Wales Breaks Down One Day After Leaving Portsmouth On A ‘Landmark Mission’ To US

HMS Prince of Wales set sail from Portsmouth on Saturday. Pic: Royal Navy  

SKY News: UK's biggest warship, HMS Prince of Wales, breaks down off south coast shortly after setting sail for US  

The 65,000-tonne vessel is said to have suffered a "significant technical fault" - with unconfirmed reports about damage to the starboard propeller shaft. 

The UK's biggest warship has broken down off the south coast shortly after setting sail on what had been billed as a "landmark mission" to the United States. 

HMS Prince of Wales, the second of the Royal Navy's two aircraft carriers, was experiencing an "emerging mechanical issue", a spokesperson said. The problem is being investigated. 

The £3bn carrier, which became fully operational only last year, is reportedly anchored south east of the Isle of Wight while the investigation is carried out.  

Read more .... 

WNU Editor: The HMS Prince of Wales only became fully operational last year. 

HMS Prince of Wales Breaks Down One Day After Leaving Portsmouth On A ‘Landmark Mission’ To US 

HMS Prince of Wales warship breaks down off south coast after setting out on ‘landmark mission’ to US -- The Independent  

HMS Prince of Wales breaks down day after leaving Portsmouth -- The Guardian  

'HMS Prince of Wales' breaks down on day one of voyage -- The National  

NATO flagship 'breaks down' shortly after leaving port: report -- FOX News



from War News Updates https://ift.tt/YGaXHIO
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

US-built first Saudi MMSC frigate HMS Saud launched at Fincantieri’s shipyard

According to information published by the Saudi Ministry of Defense on December 18, 2025, the first Multi-Mission Surface Combatant frigate constructed in the United States for the Royal Saudi Navy has been officially launched at Fincantieri Marinette Marine’s shipyard in Marinette, Wisconsin. The ship, designated HMS Saud with pennant number 820 and also known as Jalalat Al-Malik Saud in honor of King Saud, is the lead vessel in a four-ship program ordered under Project Tuwaiq through the U.S. Foreign Military Sales framework, a deal that defense officials have repeatedly described as a cornerstone of bilateral naval cooperation. Read more.   The HMS Saud (820) has an overall length of approximately 118 meters, in some sources detailed as 118.6 meters, with a beam of 17.6 meters, a draft of about 4.3 meters, and a full-load displacement estimated at roughly 3,600 tonnes. (Picture source: Saudi MoD) Read full Defense news.  from World Defence News https://ift....

U.S. Army Conducts Gunnery Exercise With Latest Air Defense System Sgt Stout.

U.S. Army officials confirmed that a live gunnery exercise at Fort Hood, Texas, is underway, featuring the latest-generation Sgt Stout short-range air defense system. The drills mark a significant step toward full operational integration as units across the force adapt to evolving threats from drones, rotary-wing aircraft, and low-flying munitions. It matters because Sgt. Stout enhances the Army’s ability to defend forward-deployed troops and critical infrastructure from modern aerial threats. Read full Defense News at this link ... A U.S. Army SGT Stout SHORAD air defense vehicle maneuvers into firing position during live-fire training with the 6th Battalion, 56th Air Defense Artillery Regiment at Fort Hood, Texas, on October 3, 2025. (Picture source: U.S. Department of War) Read More from World Defence News https://ift.tt/NYmsS1n via IFTTT

Bath Iron Works starts building new Arleigh Burke-class Flight III destroyer USS J. William Middendorf

General Dynamics Bath Iron Works has started construction of the future USS J. William Middendorf (DDG 138), a Flight III Arleigh Burke-class destroyer that will strengthen the U.S. Navy’s missile-defense and escort capacity during sustained operations in the Red Sea, Eastern Mediterranean, and Indo-Pacific. The ceremonial first steel cut took place in Maine on May 19, 2026, as the Navy continues relying on Flight III destroyers equipped with the SPY-6 radar and Aegis Baseline 10 combat system to replace the air defense and command role of retiring Ticonderoga-class cruisers ahead of the future DDG(X) program.  Read full defense news at this link... USS J. William Middendorf belongs to the Flight III configuration that began with USS Jack H. Lucas (DDG 125), the first Flight III destroyer commissioned in October 2023. (Picture source: US Navy) Read more... from World Defence News https://ift.tt/tSRkVWI via IFTTT